IF YOU ARE JUST STARTING THIS BLOG......

Go to the chapters listed on the left and click on 2010, then click on May and begin with chapter 1 at the bottom of the page and continue upward. All of the chapters for each month's postings will be listed on one page. Then go to the left again and click the next month, etc. to continue with the story, chapter by chapter.


Chapter 16

I need to write. I need to journal. The past few months, journaling had become my outlet. My mind was not right but my thoughts seemed to come together when I wrote them down. I remembered a paperback book they gave me hours earlier. It was a "patient guide". Information about the nuthouse. I opened it up. I could write in the spaces. I could write in between the lines. I went to the nurses station and asked for a pencil. It was dull and it was about 2 inches long. The reasoning behind that didn't cross my mind at the time. It would later.

Journal entry, Sunday morning, November 1st
I can't believe I'm here. I'm in a psych unit. The doors are locked to the outside. I stare at the piece of paper that Robyn gave me with with a list of phone numbers on it. She wrote them down in the ER last night when we were told that I wouldn't be allowed to have my cell phone with me once I got here. I'm in a psych unit. I'm not allowed any personal items. I didn't have any place to put my contacts last night, so I wore them to bed. I don't know what time it is. There is no clock. I can't help but wonder just how much Mark hates me for what I put him through last night. I wonder what my friends must feel after seeing what used to be a kinda together woman completely lose it right in front of them. I had every intention of ending my life. I had enough pills to do the trick in a matter of minutes. When I heard sirens, I felt myself go crazy inside. I don't think I've ever been that scared. I knew my plan was completely busted. I would look like a fool for the rest of my life, at least to those that were there last night. I just wanted to be with my Lord. I wanted to feel His face against mine. But what about my precious children? What must they be feeling? I can't go there right now. What my family and friends must be thinking today. How disappointed in me they must be. They believed in me, in what I stood for. I had let them down. But worst of all, how disappointed my Lord must be in me. You trusted me with this journey and I blew it. I'm so sorry. So now I'm left looking at these blank walls and I'm so full of shame. I wish that I would have succeeded. Perhaps I would be held in my Savior's arms. Perhaps I would be dancing with my precious Molly.

I needed coffee. I went to the nurses station just a few feet from my room and asked where I might get some coffee. They pointed down the hall. I began to walk where they had directed me. The tears began to flow. There weren't very many people around. It must be early. I found the coffee, poured a cup and went back to my room. This is surreal. This does not happen to "normal" women. I remember my clinical rotation in a locked down psych unit. I knew I did not want to be a psych nurse. I didn't know how to talk to 'crazy' people. I felt sorry for them, but did not want to try to relate to them. After all, I was normal. Hmmmm....normal. I'm not so sure what that means anymore. The walk that I just took down the hall told me that I was no longer 'normal'. I had lost my mind. I just couldn't quite grasp any part of that, not right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I'm sitting in a coffee shop near our house bawling my eyes out. I've been there. To the dark place and it is scary. You are so fortunate to have amazing friends and family that will never give up on you even when you give up on yourself. I can relate on some levels and am jealous on others. I can hardly wait for your next post to hear how you got through the dark. I hover on the edge some days but thanks to anti depressants haven't gone over! You are strong. Thanks for sharing your story.

Anonymous said...

Kim, I am so sorry for the unbelievable pain you have had to walk through. I am so glad you have many to walk this road with you. I will never forget that you went through a painful time with me, and will always love you for it.