IF YOU ARE JUST STARTING THIS BLOG......

Go to the chapters listed on the left and click on 2010, then click on May and begin with chapter 1 at the bottom of the page and continue upward. All of the chapters for each month's postings will be listed on one page. Then go to the left again and click the next month, etc. to continue with the story, chapter by chapter.


Seasons

I've thought a lot about the seasons of life lately.  There are the seasons of beauty and growth that leaves you in a state of complete peace.  You know what I'm talking about, those times in your life when you say to yourself, 'ahhh...life is good',  just kinda leaves you sighing and you give thanks.  And then there are the seasons of storms.  Hmmm....brings about a completely different array of feelings, doesn't it?  One stormy season in our life can change everything.

I learned a few days ago that a high school friend committed suicide last week. His family is most likely right in the middle of the biggest storm they have ever faced. And the storms he was trying to endure? My heart breaks for him.

I just returned from a trip to Dallas to visit with my friend, Jan, Galen's wife.  You remember Galen from previous chapters in this blog.  I want so desperately to take away the dark clouds that still loom every single day from her storm that she experienced several months ago, but I can't.  All I can do is walk with her, pray for her, pray with her, and love her through her storm.

A few days ago, I received a call asking me to talk to a woman going through menopause that was suicidal.  I did have the privilege of talking to her and I felt as though I was looking into a mirror a year and a half ago.  The changes in her life, including a recent divorce, left her so vulnerable to the changes that was happening in her body as well.  She was severely depressed.  She told me she had not gotten out of bed for anything except to go to the restroom for several days. She told me that she felt like she was running off her friends and had come to the point of not calling them for the help she so desperately needed.  She was smack in the middle of a storm, a storm that was raging out of control.  Was there hope for her?  Absolutely!  But when you're standing right in the eye of the storm, it's so difficult to see what's on the other side of that storm.  All you can do is try to survive the now.

I don't know what season you are in right now, whether it's one of beauty and prosperity or one of storms and darkness, but here's the deal with seasons.... you have no control over them.  But you do have control over what you do with them.  If you are in the midst of a raging storm, get the help you need, whatever that looks like, but don't try to just 'wait it out'. It may get worse before it gets better. I know you are feeling very alone. You look up to seek His face and all you see is darkness. You look all around you and the storm is so heavy that you can't even see clear enough to take a step forward. You feel paralyzed with fear, confusion, and hopelessness. I would encourage you to take that step forward, not having any idea where it may lead. And as you begin to walk,  you will begin to feel the grasp on your hand that's been there the entire time. You're not alone, that is one thing I know for certain.  Perhaps you are on the other side of the storm and you made it through, but you feel so stinkin' beat up, you're not certain you'll ever be the same.  Then allow it to change you.  Allow it to make you more prepared for future storms of life.  Allow it to make you more sensitive to others as they go through their stormy season.  And allow it to bring you to the 'end of yourself' and face down before the Almighty God, in the full realization that He alone is your hope.  There IS hope, sweet friend.  The sun will shine again. I promise.

No comments: